How do you know if an older pet is unwell?
Observe your pet for the early warning signs of ageing and age-related diseases:
- Change in appetite
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Loss of housetraining or toileting accidents
- Difficulty rising, walking or climbing stairs
- Confusion or disorientation
- Persistent cough
- New lumps or bumps
- Bad breath, plaque on teeth, or bleeding gums
- Diarrhoea or vomiting
- Change in sleep patterns
- Ear odours, redness, scratching, or head shaking
- Change in drinking and/or urination
It is common to assume these signs are a normal part of the ageing process; however, they may indicate underlying age-related disease. Monitor changes in your pet's health and if you do notice anything please contact us for advice.
If you are concerned, or worried about even small changes, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would rather hear from you now so that symptoms can be discussed, treatment provided or even environmental or lifestyle changes can be made to help your pet. Just remember pets can't tell us when they are in pain!