Choc tops Muscles

Muscles

In the lead-up to Easter, we had Muscles, a gorgeous Boxer puppy, rushed into our clinic after having been caught eating chocolate.

Unfortunately for dogs, chocolate can cause vomiting, seizures, heart issues and in some cases it can prove to be fatal. After having his stomach pumped and some rest, Muscles was able to go home - a happy ending for his frantic owners!

It isn't always a happy ending with dogs and chocolate. But luckily, thanks to technology and the web - we are able to find two great websites for helping you calculate how much chocolate is too much for your dog. For more information, you can visit Ped MD or Askavetquestion 

The important things to remember (and note) are your dog's weight, the type of chocolate consumed as well as the amount. Why is chocolate so bad for dogs? It contains theobromine, which is a stimulant derived from cocoa. For more information, visit our article about it.

If you think your dog has ingested some chocolate, don't hesitate to contact us or check out the new app, First Aid for Pets (Australian app store only), we are always happy to provide help and to put your mind at ease.

And remember - please keep chocolate out of reach of dogs, it may be toxic for them but it does smell pretty tempting - after all, it is chocolate!

Share