Charlie's toxic raisins

This month we had in a gorgeous cocker spaniel called Charlie Bailey who was rushed into the clinic after ingesting some raisins given to the owner's toddler. Raisins, sultanas and grapes are poisonous to pets even in small amounts.

Charlie

After he had his stomach emptied and was under observation for a day, he was well enough to go home happy. Luckily the owner checked online and then called us immediately when they realised what had happened.

We all loving giving our pets treats and sharing our food with them, especially when they give you 'that face', but some human foods are definitely not suitable for pet consumption.

Here is a list of foods to avoid at all times, and remember, you can always call us at the clinic for any concerns you may have.

  • Fruits (notably those with seeds or pits)
  • Nuts (especially macadamias and mouldy nuts. Almonds and other non-mouldy nuts will still cause tummy upsets)
  • Certain spices (especially nutmeg)
  • Onions, garlic and chives (even when cooked)
  • Rhubarb
  • Milk and dairy products (can cause stomach upsets)
  • Raw eggs, meat and fish
  • The sugar substitute Xylitol (commonly found in gum and sweets).
  • Hard bones (can harm teeth)
  • Alcohol and caffeine
  • Chocolate (read the story of what happened to Muscles
  • Fatty junk foods (can cause pancreatitis)

For further information please check out our website page on toxic foods and household poisons.

Please try to make sure that you have some pet-friendly treats at home that you can give to your pet when they want a tasty snack. Always check food labels before sharing, and remember that it's always best to be safe than sorry when it comes to your pets' wellbeing.

Share