An update on bush fire victim, Marmalade
Marmalade, the ginger cat featured in our February Newsletter, was rescued from his local neighbourhood and taken to the Whittlesea Vet Clinic for burns treatment.
He suffered horrifying burns to his face, ears and feet. He was treated for shock and dehydration with intravenous fluids and was given pain relief on arrival to the clinic. All four feet were bathed and dressed with a zinc based cream and soft bandages. His eyes were flushed with saline and treated with a topical eye ointment. Marmalade was given antibiotics to help manage the potential infection from the burns he sustained.
To the present day Marmalade has made a full recovery. It has taken almost three months of daily bandage changing and supportive nursing to return him to his prior self. Marmalade has put on half a kilogram and has grown back all of his fur. His attitude towards life is amazing; he is strangely over the top affectionate and loves to lick everyone. It is so great to see him pain free and so happy to have a second chance at life.
A big thank you to our staff, including Head Nurse Stacey, Nurse Natalie and veterinarians Suzanne and Belinda who as a helping hand to the Whittlesea Vet Clinic and Wildlife Victoria, volunteered their time to help treat and look after the injured animals.