A dangerous bony treat for Toby

Toby is a 7 year old Cairn Terrier who recently visited the clinic because he was looking uncomfortable. His owner thought he was subdued and lethargic. A blood test was taken to rule out diseases such as pancreatitis or infection. The results were all within normal parameters.

X-rays of his abdomen were taken, these showed chewed up pieces of bone in his gastrointestinal tract. This was expected as Toby had eaten lamb bones recently. Toby continued to deteriorate and commenced regurgitating his food. Further x-rays of Toby's chest revealed a bone stuck in Toby's windpipe.

This was a tricky situation so Toby was referred to the Melbourne Veterinary Referral Centre were he was examined by a specialist. He was anaethetised and the bone was removed using an endoscope with special forceps (grabbers).

We are very pleased that Toby is now recovering well and is slowly getting back to eating his regular food.

Share